So, are you a Leader or a Follower when it comes to Selling?
This is an important distinction I often reference in my speeches, between a Standard salesperson, and a Stand Out Salesperson.
So How Do We Define The Two?
A Leader (Stand-Out-Salesperson) is someone who ‘leads’ the prospect – challenges their perceptions, gives new ideas, imposes themselves on the sales process, delivers and demonstrates value in the process, and gently ‘leads’ the client to the best solution. #proactive
A Follower (Standard salesperson) is someone who does what the prospect asks, follows their instructions and does what they are told. #reactive
Often you would find the Follower in Account Servicing roles (see my “Account Management Is Dead” blog here for more on this)
So Where Does This Have An Impact?
Here are just a few examples of where it can impact a salesperson….
- When the prospect asks ‘can you send me a proposal?’ – do you lead or follow?
- When you get an incoming lead with the specifications to quote – do you lead or follow?
- When the prospect at the meeting says ‘here is what I would like’ – do you lead or follow?
- When you get an ‘invitation to tender’ – do you lead or follow?
- When the prospect says ‘your competitors can do it at x price’ – do you lead or follow?
- When you get the chance to quote – do you lead or follow?
- When the prospects tells YOU the price they’re willing to pay – do you lead or follow?
- When you get told to ‘put everything in an email’ – do you lead or follow?
So, when it comes to sales, are you and your team Leading or Following?
Are you and your team standard salespeople? Or Stand-Out-Salespeople?
If you and your team want to find out how to be Stand-Out-Salespeople (not standard salespeople), get in touch here or
call +44 161 401 0142 and we can talk about how we can get you and your team more like Stand-Out-Salespeople!
I look forward to hearing about your future sales!
This article is copyright Andy Preston 2004-2017. To copy or syndicate this or any part of this article, or to use Andy’s ideas, tactics and IP in your company, contact Andy Preston for guidelines.
Named as one of the World's Top Sales Gurus, Andy creates 'Stand Out Salespeople' worldwide, with his revolutionary 'Stand Out Selling' Sales System. 'Stand Out Selling' helps salespeople stand out from their competition, win more business, and do so at higher prices!
Previously a trained Professional Buyer, then the Top Salesperson in the UK, Andy Preston has now trained more than 120,000 Salespeople, in 29 countries, since 2004!
Andy is best known for his work in 5 specific areas...
1) Prospecting/Cold Calling/Business Development
2) Converting Incoming Sales Leads
3) Consultative Selling and Pipeline Management
4) Standing Out From The Competition
5) Helping Salespeople Close More Deals!
With more testimonials than any other Sales Expert online (see 320+ on LinkedIn alone here) Andy's work is recognised worldwide.
You can contact Andy here for more information, and how he may be able to help you!
Andy's Recent Accolades.......
* The World's Top Recommended Sales Expert
* Top Sales Expert - Geniecast
* Top Sales Influencer - WittyParrott
* Top Sales Experts To Follow On Twitter - Evan Carmichael
* 10 Sales Experts Every Salesperson Should Follow On Twitter - Etail Insights